Guidance Officer (GO): an integral member of the SWAN team
GO are teachers with specialist professional training in counselling and psycho-educational assessment. Nundah has a GO that works two days a week at our school, visiting other schools during the rest of the week.
GOs plays a vital role in our school involving:
• liaising with other agencies and making appropriate referrals.
• assisting with the identification, verification and enrolment of students with low incidence special needs.
• working collaboratively with teachers and other specialist support staff within the Education Adjustment Profile (EAP) process.
• collaborating with students, their parents, teachers, specialist staff and community agencies to promote improved learning outcomes for students.
• identification of factors that can be barriers to learning and development, planning/assisting with planning interventions or support programs to assist students to achieve improved learning outcomes.
• assessment of a student’s developmental levels and abilities.
The GO’s time with us is limited and therefore is valuable. Therefore, all access to the GO is determined through referral to the Student with Additional Needs (SWAN) Committee. Students may be referred to the GO should they require specialist intervention and support. In some instances, parents consult private agencies, independent of the school and provide relevant information to the school.